Empowering students to turn their potential into success.
The strength of our school and community lies in our acceptance of responsibility, our positive values, and our diversity.
Dear Families and Patrons of East Canyon,
Welcome to East Canyon Elementary! It is my pleasure to welcome you to a new school year. At East Canyon our mission is to "Empower students to turn their potential into success."
So what should you and your student(s) expect from East Canyon this year? You can expect that we have structured our daily schedule to give your student(s) consistent and intense instruction in reading, language, and math along with the subjects of physical education, computers, science, social studies, music, and library skills. This year our school will continue integrating science, engineering, math, and writing through our math and reading units in a more extensive way. We will continue using technology in the classroom by way of iPads and Chromebooks. You can expect to see AVID (Achievement Via Individual Determination) in grades 2-5 this year. If you are not familiar with AVID, you can find more information on our website. You can expect that we want each child to read at least 20 minutes per evening. This is a required part of homework for each and every student. We have done research with our own students that shows students who consistently engage in their home reading are better readers overall than students who do not. This especially helps with students who are struggling to read fluently.
East Canyon’s school mascot is the Thunderbolt. We have spirit day every Friday with students being encouraged to wear our school colors of blue and yellow or an East Canyon shirt. These days are scheduled to encourage school spirit and pride. We want our students to love their school and enjoy coming each day. We also have college wear Wednesdays where students are encouraged to wear a college shirt of their choice. It is never too early to think about what school or field students may want to go into after high school.
This handbook lists important school policies and expectations for your convenience. Many of your questions may be answered in the following pages. I’m looking forward to working with you this year and thank you for taking an interest in your child’s education. Please visit, get involved, and ask questions at East Canyon. We want you to be proud of the work your school does with your children. We welcome you and encourage you to make this school yours. We also invite you to volunteer in your child’s classroom.
Partnering with our parents and community are important for the staff and students at East Canyon. We believe that building these relationships will provide the optimal learning environment for our students. Please do not hesitate to get involved in your school.
Katrina McGee, Principal at East Canyon
· Provide a quality education for all students
· Provide a safe learning environment for all students
· Provide an educated staff dedicated to their own learning and growing
· Communicate with parents about student growth and development
· Organize informational meetings to assist parents in understanding programs and procedures
· Make sure your child is here on time every day ready to learn
· Monitor children’s effective use of time
· Monitor the positive use of your child’s free time
· Support the completion of homework
· Active involvement of 20 minutes of home reading a day
· Familiarize yourself with school programs and procedures
· Come to school ready to learn
· Be responsible to complete your homework
· Read for at least 20 minutes at night
· Respect others and their property
· Student is responsible for open communication between home and school
· Student is responsible for following all school and classroom rules